Thursday, April 21, 2005

The New Age of Catholicism

From Conrado de Quiros' editorial column THERE'S THE RUB on The Philippine Daily Inquirer, 4 April 2005.

"Why should our leaders grieve that the Pope is dying? They've never heeded his words anyway. They've never followed his example anyway. They've never shown their love for him by living in the light of his spirit anyway. They've gone against the most central tenets of his teachings anyway. They've listened more to the words of John, Paul, George and Bush that to John Paul II's."

I never met Pope John Paul II, but I was among the thousands that lined Roxas Boulevard years ago to welcome him and be blessed by him. One way or another, he has had some effect on my life. Like all believers in Christ, I am a sinner. Like most modern day Roman Catholics, by design, I believe but don't necessarily live by the words of the Vatican. Like many of the religious, I pray that Pope Benedict XVI will lead us well. He has BIG shoes to fill. I hope we all make an effort to listen this time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home