Thursday, February 03, 2005

Alternative Lifestyle?

I've always enjoyed writing and have often thought about being a writer in the "professional" sense of the word. My problem is...what would I write about? I mean, just look at my blog. There's no real common thread. My Mom suggested that I write a regular column for a local paper. But how would I differentiate my column from Celine Lopez's? I guess that's what the Philippine Star's "Youngblood" column is for.

I could write about something I'm passionate about. Travel. Shopping. Movies. Music. I may not be Ian Wright or Justine Shapiro, but I would love to do what they do. Imagine if I could see what they have seen, and write about it with the same wit as David Sedaris. I have friends with whom I hope to complete a travelogue one day - pictures and everything (big shout out to the Bangkokians here. "How YOU doin'?!"). I could compare bargain shopping in Chatuchak, Pratunam, Benh Tanh, Mongkok, Stanley Park, Tsim Tsa Tsui and the annual Cuenca Bazaars. I could be a movie critic. I could listen to CDs all day and watch bands play all night, and write about them.

Then again, I could always write about all the different things I want or have wanted to be, and call my column "If I Was A/An...". Architect. Interior Designer. Comic Book Artist. Comic Book Writer. Shrink. Poet. Novelist. Neil Gaiman's Wife. Sting's Lover. The Undefined Character in Jeanette Winterson's "Written on the Body". Larry Mullen, Jr's Apprentice. Band Manager. A&R Executive. Judge on "American Idol". Course Director for "The Amazing Race". Formula One Driver. Golf Course Designer. Nun. Philosopher. History Teacher. Literature Teacher. Secretary of the Department of Education. Olympic Swimmer. Host of "Lonely Planet". Writer for "Lonely Planet". Host of "The Thirsty Traveller". Photographer for "National Geographic". Voice Talent. Firestarter. Magician. Octomanoeuver. Who would have thought I'd ever be a Consultant?

I'll figure it out...one day....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home