Thursday, June 08, 2006

Counting My Blessings

Dr. Valdez put my left foot in a green fiberglass cast with waterproof lining yesterday (picture to follow). Green! He didn't have any other color. I was hoping he'd have black or orange, but not green! How am I going to match my clothes to that green?

Well, at least it's a Brazil green. So Andaya's supposed to make a Brazilian flag to put on my cast in time for the World Cup (starts tomorrow). Who cares if I'm only about 1/8th Brazilian (although it would be really cool if I was related to Ronaldo or Roberto Carlos, both of whom share my grandfather's surname: da Silva). Represent! They play the sport beautifully (if not damn well), so they're my team. They're always my football team. The part of me that's Spanish doesn't care. That part just enjoys the game. And watching the good looking players (Kaka, Cafu, Casillas,...).

So, anyway, on to my blessings. Ok, I hate being in a cast. It sucks. Using crutches sucks. Nakakapagod ang buhay pilay. My medical bill f-ing sucks. But at least I have 6 weeks to heal, which simply means, I will be able to retain a sense of normalcy sometime after my birthday. Some people never recover from their accidents. I'm not missing a body part. I'm still whole. All my senses work. And they work so well, I'm getting fat from sitting around (I'm not allowed to move much). I still have a job and I can conduct business from my living room. I can still contribute to the business so I feel relevant. Not a lot of people can say they enjoy their jobs. I have friends I can count on, like Andaya, the professional stay-at-home-daughter, who has been my driver this past week. And JR who brought me to the Makati Med emergency room after I sprained my ankle. And Marian who panicked more than anyone in my family did (akala mo siya yung na-sprain!). Just last Monday, my boss and my seatmate helped me limp my way to a shopping spree and a couple of smokes. I'm lucky that my Tita Girlie lives with us. She helps me a lot during the day. Layla and Max provide daily entertainment. Bianca helps me at night. My Mom had Tita Nieves' home-made food for the gods last night (my favorite dessert). Despite being told to stay put, I got out of bed for 3 food for the gods bars.

Funny. Who would have thought that a grade 3 sprain would make me think about how good I've got it. I am blessed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home