Sunday, October 21, 2007

Shopping Nation

There is something about Singapore that just compels me to shop. I don't get this feeling anywhere else. When I visit another country, whether for work or for pleasure, shopping is not on the top of my to-do list. Not even in Bangkok (my shopping mecca). I mean, it's on the list, but it's not a priority. I always look forward to exploring, taking pictures, learning about the locals, and having local cuisine (when in the US, that does not mean McDonald's. It's lomi-lomi in Hawaii, In-n-Out Burger in California. Hahaha). But in Singapore, it's like I have nothing else to do but shop. It's as if I have no choice but to purchase something. Anything! The moment I step out of that walkway that connects the plane to the airport, I'm assaulted by duty free shops in Changi (is it a mall or an airport?).

I arrived at lunch time today, settled into my room at the Intercontinental in Bugis, then headed straight for Funan Digital Mall to buy laptop peripherals. And these things were really on my list of "must buy in Singapore because it's cheaper there". In the words of my best friend The Puskal, "Nyar!"

I then decided to stay close to the hotel by walking around the newly refurbished mall around the Bugis Junction. For some strange reason, Books Kinukoniya was a mess. Parang siya lang ang hindi inayos. But I was able to find the books I wanted except one. I was told to head over to the main store in Takashimaya Mall on Orchard Road for Jeanette Winterson's latest, Stone Gods. Next weekend nalang siguro. Our company's insurance broker recommended Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert which is about a woman who travels to Rome to enjoy food, to India to find enlightenment, and to Bali to find peace. I couldn't find it back home, but found it here on sale. I guess we all know what I'm reading tonight.

I checked out the mid season sale at G2000, Topshop and U2. Sulit sila, ha. Blazers for SGD39 (down from SGD80). I purposely stayed away from Charles & Kieth. A woman CAN have too many shoes and bags. I'm still thinking about HMV if only to check if they already have Bruce Springsteen's Magic (I knew I should have bought it for Bianca in Madrid. Sheesh).

Apparently, the entire Singapore is on sale. Everyone was out shopping today. All the shops were full, and merchandise was scattered everywhere inside the shops. Shopping seems to be a national hobby. Or sport. I think some of the locals have even elevated it to an art. No wonder they have such a strong economy.

At some point, I thought I was back in Manila because all the Pinoys seemed to be out in full force on the metro and in the malls. Tuloy, tinagalog ko yung mga sales assistant sa DC Comics shop, mga Singaporean pala. I'm starting to feel like Singapore is an extension of Makati (like, do the Ayalas or does Henry Sy own this place?). I wonder if Singaporeans bother to visit their own tourist attractions. Or is shopping the attraction?

Right now, I'm waiting for the Brazilian Grand Prix. I'm hoping against all hope that Kimi wins, although I think Lewis will claim the championship. Cheater. Hehehe. I'm supposed to check out an F1 store for Joby in a mall near the Mandarin Hotel. I wonder which cars will be featured in the store after the race. Thank God, I don't collect model cars and that I'm "operating" on a very strict budget this week (I haven't strayed from the list despite the many temptations), otherwise that trip to the Mandarin is going to hurt my wallet! This is becoming an exercise in restraint! And I'll be here until next Tuesday. Waaaah! Wala akong pang-shopping! Torture. Of all countries for this to happen to me, it had to be Singapore: Shoppers' Paradise.

2 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Calai said...

call me nalang at the intercon in bugis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home