Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Let the Fan Girl Rave!

Early this year, I wrote that Neil Gaiman was coming to the Philippines by quoting his blog http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal/journal.asp. His trip has since been confirmed and there have been numerous posts in other blogs, and email groups have sprouted all over the place. He even posted this on his blog over the weekend:

"Hi Neil,I just thought you might want to mention to your fans in the Philippines that the bookstore chain that's holding your book signing in July has set up a mailing list where fans can get updates and news about the event. It's at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gaiman_fullybooked/. Can't wait for you to get here! Cheers,Tania Manila, Philippines"

"I'm looking forward to it as well. (Did you know that there were 1484 visitors to this site from the Philippines last month? Well, that or 2,557, depending on which counter you believe.) Consider it mentioned."

Check out Benjor's blog on http://www.livejournal.com/users/escathe/ where he put up the poster he designed for Neil Gaiman's book signing tour in Manila. Benjor was also mentioned in a recent message from the "Gaiman in Manila" Group Moderator:

"Fully Booked is proud to bring you Neil Gaiman in Manila from July 9-11, 2005. Please refer to the poster on the Home page (designed by Benjor Catindig). As to Neil's definite schedule(i.e. book signings, contests, etc), it is still subject to change. Please be patient as details have yet to be re-confirmed."

It's an absolutely beautiful poster and I'm so proud of him!

I find it a bit off, though, that Fully Booked is not holding a special signing or some sort of "members only" activity for Full Booked Book Perks+ cardholders such as my sisters and myself (yes, a family of STAR WARS *and* Neil Gaiman fans, we are).

A couple of weeks ago, Fred asked me which 3 items I would bring to the book signing. If I only had my own copy of SANDMAN #1, that would definitely be on my list. I don't have a copy of ANGELS AND VISITATIONS either. Fred is bringing both of those. Having slipped off the Collector's high horse, I will content myself with STARDUST (which I LOVE and have read 5 times in the last 7 years) and SMOKE AND MIRRORS (pieces from which I have been reading almost every night for the past 4 or 5 years. He MUST sign on the pages of my favorite story, THE PRICE). If I am able to purchase a copy of ANANSI BOYS whilst visiting my Dad next month, perhaps I'll bring that, too. Otherwise, the 3rd item would have to be AMERICAN GODS or CORALINE (I obviously did not enjoy NEVERWHERE and GOOD OMENS as much, and I was disappointed with ENDLESS NIGHTS). Oh, wait, what about my copy of HARLEQUIN and the other children's books and my WARNING: CONTAINS LANGUAGE CDs and BLACK ORCHID and...? Grrr....

So after STAR WARS, there's LA VISA LOCA which opened last week (I haven't seen it but had the good fortune of reading the original Palanca Award-winning screenplay GOOD FRIDAY ARCHIPELAGO - fantastic!), Frank Miller's SIN CITY is opening this week, BATMAN BEGINS will be out in June, local bookstores will soon be selling Jeanette Winterson's "Lighthousekeeping" (finally!), and for my birthday - Neil Gaiman (man of my dreams!) is coming to town. How wonderful! Let the good times roll....

1 Comments:

At 8:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sin city looks too be real good --ultra violent daw

 

Post a Comment

<< Home