Tuesday, September 20, 2005

What Was Playing on Your Senior Year?

I wanted to do a "My Life in Music" type of post. It must be because School of Rock has been all over cable TV this past couple of weeks. I've been playing my copy of the soundtrack at work a lot, too. And I just saw The Commitments again last Saturday (I love that film).

Then I found the lazy way out. I got this idea from Lilit:

Step 1: Go to musicoutfitters.com.
Step 2: Type the year of your high school graduation in the "search" slot. That defines your real musical era!
Step 3: Click on the Top 100 Hits of that Year. Then post the music of your times, what you like and don't like or don't remember in the list.

1. Hold On, Wilson Phillips - memories of Sobee screaching at the top of her voice.
2. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette - Bianca's favorite song in High School. I think she still has the tape (yes, we still have tapes here in the age of the iPod).
3. Nothing Compares 2 U, Sinead O'Connor - yeah, this song was coming out of my ears for a while there.
4. Poison, Bell Biv Devoe - someone kept singing this before...was it Celso?
5. Vogue, Madonna - beautiful video!
6. Vision Of Love, Mariah Carey - oh yes, the song that scared a thousand dogs.
7. Another Day In Paradise, Phil Collins - wow, LS!
8. Hold On, En Vogue - hey, what ever did happen to En Vogue? They were pretty good.
9. Cradle Of Love, Billy Idol - COOLNESS!
10. Blaze Of Glory, Jon Bon Jovi - hahahahaha! Cynthia...?
11. Do Me!, Bell Biv Devoe - what's this?
12. How Am I Supposed To Live Without You, Michael Bolton - nope. Not my cup of tea, dear.
13. Pump Up The Jam, Technotronic - Jessica!
14. Opposites Attract, Paula Abdul - so did she really go out with Arsenio Hall?
15. Escapade, Janet Jackson - another song that was coming out of my ears back then.
16. All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You, Heart - the only popular Heart song that I don't like.
17. Close To You, Maxi Priest - ooh, loved that track!
18. Black Velvet, Alannah Myles - I liked this one, too.
19. Release Me, Wilson Phillips - which one was this?
20. Don't Know Much, Linda Ronstadt and Aaron Neville - and this?
21. All Around The World, Lisa Stansfield - reminds me of Dondi (even if I met him after school). Was it Mario who had a big crush on Lisa Stansfield?
22. l Wanna Be Rich, Calloway - what's this?
23. I Remember You, Skid Row - WAAAAAAAAW!!! And because I wasn't a smoker back then, I could sing along almost exactly the same way whatshisname - Sebastian Bach? - did. And in college, the whole carpool would "sing" the guitar solo.
24. Rub You The Right Way, Johnny Gill - what's this?
25. She Ain't Worth It, Glenn Medeiros Featuring Bobby Brown - and this?
26. If Wishes Came True, Sweet Sensation - and this?
27. The Power, Snap - the song that everyone did the Running Man to.
28. (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection, Nelson - hey, Bianca would sing it and I'd do the second voice. The Nelson twins were...pretty. Hahaha!
29. Love Will Lead You Back, Taylor Dayne - oh, that song that people liked to sing on noon-time variety shows and on Minus One.
30. Don't Wanna Fall In Love, Jane Child - what's this?
31. Two To Make It Right, Seduction - and this?
32. Sending All My Love, Linear - and this?
33. Unskinny Bop, Poison - "unskinny bop bop bop BOP!" (can you tell what kind of music I really liked back then...and still do)
34. Step By Step, New Kids On The Block - what happened to Menudo?
35. Dangerous, Roxette - that was ok....
36. We Didn't Start The Fire, Billy Joel - does anyone actually know all the words and can they sing along?
37. I Don't Have The Heart, James Ingram - which one was this? I'm sure someone taped it from An-an's senti CD collection. Who went to his concert in college?
38. Downtown Train, Rod Stewart - yup yup!
39. Rhythm Nation, Janet Jackson - 1814?
40. I'll Be Your Everything, Tommy Page - don't remember this one.
41. Roam, B-52's - "roam around the world...!" I practiced playing the drums to the B-52's.
42. Everything, Jody Watley - what's this?
43. Back To Life, Soul II Soul - another "80s Night at Jill's" staple. Why?!
44. Here and Now, Luther Vandross - don't know this one.
45. Alright, Janet Jackson - or this one.
46. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice - ARGH!!! I couldn't listen to "Under Pressure" again after this came out.
47. Blame It On The Rain, Milli Vanilli - Archy's Angels, baby, yeah! I think I still remember the steps. Hahaha!
48. Have You Seen Her, M.C. Hammer - what's this?
49. With Every Beat Of My Heart, Taylor Dayne - and this?
50. Come Back To Me, Janet Jackson - mwe....
51. No More Lies, Michel'le - whats's this?
52. Praying For Time, George Michael - fantastic album, actually....
53. How Can We Be Lovers, Michael Bolton - huh?
54. Do You Remember, Phil Collins - of course, I remember!
55. Ready Or Not, After 7 - this I don't remember.
56. U Can't Touch This, M.C. Hammer - how could anyone forget this?
57. I Wish It Would Rain Down, Phil Collins - and it did!
58. Just Between You and Me, Lou Gramm - Wow, college carpool memories! I still have this on tape and that tape still plays (thanks, Ju-ju!)
59. Something Happened On The Way To Heaven, Phil Collins - was 1990 the year of Phil Collins or what?
60. Black Cat, Janet Jackson- when Janet rocked!
61. Can't Stop, After 7 - what's this?
62. Janie's Got A Gun, Aerosmith - and what an awesome album!
63. The Humpty Dance, Digital Underground - huh?
64. I'll Be Your Shelter, Taylor Dayne - ???
65. Free Fallin', Tom Petty - ooh, I love this! And it's not a song one sings along to. You gotta shout!
66. Giving You The Benefit, Pebbles - ???
67. Enjoy The Silence, Depeche Mode - I remember hanging on to "new wave" for so long, and Depeche Mode was all I had left....
68. Love Song, Tesla - Linnea, the Glam Rock Goddess! She had all the albums and taped them for everyone. I found the Five Man Acoustical Jam CD on sale a few years back. Of course, I bought it!
69. Price Of Love, Bad English - yeah, but what about "When I See You Smile"?
70. Girls Nite Out, Tyler Collins - what's this?
71. King Of Wishful Thinking, Go West - everyone's song!
72. What Kind Of Man Would I Be?, Chicago - ok, so who didn't tape this from An-an's Best of Chicago CD?
73. Get Up! (Before The Night Is Over), Technotroic - huh?
74. Here We Are, Gloria Estefan - oh, my Mom liked this.
75. Epic, Faith No More - YEAH!!!
76. Love Takes Time, Mariah Carey - mwe....
77. Just Like Jesse James, Cher - ???
78. Love Shack, B-52's - who was the girl in school who used to sing "love SHOCK"?
79. All Or Nothing, Milli Vanilli - and who didn't tape Joby's Milli Vanilli CD?
80. Romeo, Dino - huh?
81. Everybody Everybody, Black Box - wow, Faces music. Gars on the Ledge. Sobee's one horsepower Horse Mobile.
82. I Go To Extremes, Billy Joel - yup yup yup!!
83. Whip Appeal, Babyface - don't know that one.
84. Oh Girl, Paul Young - I think I know this....
85. C'mon and Get My Love, D-Mob With Cathy Dennis - what's this?
85. (It's Just) The Way That You Love Me, Paula Abdul - and this?
87. We Can't Go Wrong, Cover Girls - and this?
88. When I'm Back On My Feet Again, Michael Bolton - and this?
89. Make You Sweat, Keith Sweat - and this?
90. This One's For The Children, New Kids On The Block - and this? (why do I not know any of these songs? Were they played on Philippine radio?)
91. What It Takes, Aerosmith - "Girl before I met you, I was O.K.A.Y. okay" hahahaha!
92. Forever, Kiss - "this time I know it, there's no doubt in my mind. Foooooreeeeeverrrrr!" Bianca and I could never just listen to this song. We had to sing out LOOOOOUUUUUD!
93. Jerk Out, Time - ...the hell?
94. Just A Friend, Biz Markie - what's this?
95. Whole Wide World, A'me Lorain - and this?
96. Without You, Motley Crue - Oh, how I miss glam rock....Cynthia, do you remember that blue notebook I had that everyone wrote on? I still have it! Lyrics and drawings and all!
97. Swing The Mood, Jive Bunny and The Mastermixers - huh?
98. Thieves In The Temple, Prince - yup yup!
99. Mentirosa, Mellow Man Ace - what's this?
100. Tic-Tac-Toe, Kyper - and this? (thank God, the list is done!)

I swear, I'm making my own list next time. Hmmm...but my mind is drawing a blank. Alice in Chains, The Bolshoi, The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Housemartins, INXS, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sting, Strawberry Switchblade, and U2 would be on it. Ack! Which reminds me - the Rockstar: INXS finale is tomorrow! What am I going to read on Leper Pop after Thursday?

3 Comments:

At 4:28 AM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Heh. This made me smile.

(1) Hold On - because this was my "acceptance" song after Gina
(58) Just Between You and Me - because you reminded me of the carpool, especially Juju and his...um...fascination with a certain someone. How is he by the way?

And yeah, I bought Lou Gramm's CD just for that song. At 5.99, it was a steal! Still looking for Eddie Money, though.

And I'm embarrassed to say I know practically all of the songs, except for 93,94,95 and that Cher one. Wait, I might know that too.

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am sad. I REALLY liked "It Must Have Been Love"? I think it was just because Biboy Calanog would sing "In a knapsack" instead of "In and outside" ;) Meanwhile, Calai, I will sing the songs you don't know at home, heheh :D

 
At 7:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i so wish that RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE was around during my high school days -- that was the sound i was really looking for.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home