Saturday, November 12, 2005

Spoiling Other People's Bundles of Joy

I have always been of the opinion that it is a privilege to be asked to stand as a child's godparent. You're basically the third (or fourth or fifth) parent, and it's your responsibility to make sure that the child leads a happy, healthy, balanced Christian life. It's an important role that I take rather seriously. But it's a role that I'm not very good at!

I have eight godchildren, and my goal is to warp their little minds and bend them to my will. Mwahahaha! I can spoil them because they're not mine. I can tell them about the evils of Barney, the virtues of Batman, the amazing talent of the Beatles, and to join me in the dark side of the Force. And if they poop, I don't have to change their nappies ("Yaya!").

The eight not-so-lucky ducks are (in order of birth):
Migo - now lives in Singapore and his last favorite sport was soccer. I have no idea what sport he plays now, but I know that he still likes pre-historic sea creatures, "Star Wars" and Batman. Just like me, he went through a stage wherein he wanted to be a Jedi when he grew up. Sounds like he's my own son, huh?

Marina - the fashionista Alabang girl. Everything Ninang Calai is not. Ina loves Snow White, and according to her Mom, is doing really well in school. Unfortunately, I don't get to see Ina very often, or her parents for that matter. It's only during Christmas, or a week before or after her birthday, or when one of her Dad's and my common friends are in town from the US. Yes, I'm a delinquent godparent with this one!

CK - the cutest little Pinoy in the Netherlands. The one and only time I saw him in person was when he was baptised. I haven't seen him since and that's sad. I saw his parents over a year ago when they were visiting for the holidays. Apparently, my role in CK's life is "ang ninang na magtuturo ng lahat ng katarantaduhan sa buhay" (now how do you say that in English without losing it's "flavor"?). I think I have to wait until his family moves back to Asia or I miraculously make it to Europe in order to fulfill that role!

Cai-cai - lives in Washington State with my fellow curly top. She is the most kikay 2 year old I have ever come across. This kid knows how to shop! Seriously! There she was, walking around the clothing stores in San Francisco, picking out coats and dresses from the rack, and saying "Niiice!". And she is the only child I know who is relaxed to the soothing sound of...house music! Astig!

Andy - for a time, his nickname was Anakin (his older brother's favorite Jedi. This was all before Episode III, of course). I haven't seen him in a while. But then again, he doesn't really know who I am yet. He's turning 3 soon. His birthday is the easiest to remember - Mama Mary's. He was my fattest ina-anak until there was...

Rapa - he looks like the baby in the animated movie "Ice Age". Or the big caterpillar in "A Bug's Life". His is another birthday that's easy to remember: the Feast of the Immaculate Concepcion. I'm his La Salle Ninang (he's from a family of Ateneans. Someone has to let him know that green is also good!). Like CK, he likes anything that moves - cars, planes, trains. Such a fat little boy. My little sumo wrestler.

Cara - not even a month old. She's got really big eyes, and according to her Dad's blog, is such a well-behaved baby. Sorry, Gab, but I'm really going to call her "Quatro". Hahaha!

Layla - 2 weeks old today. My first honest-to-goodness niece and my little Jedi princess. Her face is changing....

Can you imagine the diversity of my Christmas shopping list? That's it. No more Christmas gifts for anyone who's not an immediate member of my family and who's not a godchild. I can't spoil 8 children if my Christmas money is going somewhere else.

But I know that it's not just about the gifts (although all children think it is). I've been blessed with great godparents. Today is my Ninong Dado's birthday. He kind of watches me like a hawk. He's always concerned about how I am, and how work is coming along. When I started working, he would take me out on a lunch date once a year - on my brithday. It's not everyday that the SVP of one of the country's largest banks will go out of his way to take his god-daughter out to lunch to catch up and make sure she's ok. Hmm...maybe I should take him out next week.

So will I ever be as good a godparent as mine are? Maybe give them a good discount when I sell them my old car? We'll see. But really. How many kids can say their Ninang is a Jedi Knight?

2 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger me? suplada? never. =] said...

ahahahahaha.. omigohs.. that blog made me laugh.. ALOT. ahah.. so i made my mum shut up and listen to me as i read it aloud. =] ehehehe...

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buti pa si layla...jedi yung mga magulang at kapatid niya. ehehe :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home