Saturday, February 04, 2006

Countdown

Next week will be my last with Watson Wyatt. I'm starting to get a wee bit sentimental what with cleaning up my workstation and email folders. I laughed out loud when I found "The Experiment" that Banana, Benjor, Dondi, Fred, Jerome, Miggy, Sobee, Tanya and I wrote. I was also "hit" by the sudden remembrance of friends who had moved on recently - I found business cards and email messages from Millette Caudal, Reyster Langit and Aimee Mercado. Their cards and messages were difficult to throw away/delete.

I found a message my Dad sent me when the Data Services Team was spun off, cut down to 3, and we were given the challenge of re-building the business:

"Read about Bill Gates. His marketing tactics are fantastic. Read 'The Godfather' to learn alliances. Read Jonathan Livingston Seagull so you can be inspired to believe in yourself. Watch 'Peter Pan' and the 'Music Man' and learn how to dream. Play 'Risk' to sharpen your convincing powers. Play "Monopoly to learn financial timing. Play poker to learn when to when to go on or learn when to "fold-up". When selling, identify who or what your "target" market is. Imagine you were the target is and think like them. Talk to them in their manner of speaking, not yours. Use simple English (Tagalog if it is more effective.when you write ads or copy. This is not a literary contest). Know and believe in your product. Have fun!"

It is among the few true words of wisdom that I have have ever received from him.

I found an email exchange from 2002 when those "How Well Do You Know Me?" surveys were making the rounds. Some of my surprising (and not-so-surprising) answers were:

1. Ever been so drunk you blacked out: About 6 years ago in my house when we (Miggy, Malou, Cha, Yeyette, Marge, Joy, Led, Jerome, Nanette & I) were still the “kids” and I woke up because Jerome’s Mom called at 6:30AM.
12. How much do you love your job: Well, I haven't bothered looking for another one, so it's great & I'm doing well. [Note: Who'd have thought I'd change my mind in 2005?]
20. Been in a car accident: Thrice. All not my fault, although the first 2 happened when my friend was driving my car (and it was the same friend!).
26. Favourite word or phrase: "Dehin!"
37. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? If it’s a Tuesday or Thursday, “Sana may court mamaya.” Sometimes it’s, “Is Leo hitching today?” (I forgot her kasi once) On Sundays, “Is he dead yet?”
44. Most annoying thing people ask me: "What is the 'median'?" and "So, anong gagawin ko sa data na 'to?" (to which I'd love to answer, but haven't, "Eh ikaw ang humingi 'nun. Bakit mo pa ba inorder sa akin?"
54. Current motto: Bahala na si Batman.

It will be hard to part with my office-issued laptop and "hockey puck" (parking transponder). I've also started to say goodbye to some of my clients, especially those I've known since I was a green Compensation and Benefits Assistant. I've also bid the Starbucks baristas at The Enterprise Centre a fond farewell. I attended my last Data Services Update meeting yesterday, and it turned into a send-off mirienda at The Old Swiss Inn with 2 kinds of chocolate fondue and a cheese fondue (sinful!). We also had cocktails with clients at the Shangri-La Hotel Makati to say goodbye to our current Managing Director (he's moving to Canada) and one of our Directors from the Benefits Team (she was assigned to our Chicago office). My last Project Managers meeting and my last client meeting will be on Monday. I'll attend my last Human Capital Group meeting on Tuesday morning.

I'm going to miss so much about Watson Wyatt, but I'm really excited about the change. It's a new year (Chinese and "Western"), I have a new job, and I will live a new life. Cheers!

2 Comments:

At 7:58 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i'm going to really miss you, carly! :(

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Calai said...

I'm going to miss you, too, Kitty Cat!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home