Thursday, July 12, 2007

My So-Called Life

My So-Called Life (1994) will be re-released on DVD this October with new features and bonuses. Good Lord, I have all 19 episodes on VHS (which my stepmom and I taped when re-runs were aired on MTV) plus the soundtrack album on CD. [In my best Valley Girl accent] It was like you know the predecessor to Before Sunrise or something and a lot of us could like totally relate and like re-live High School and everything just watching. It's the only role that Claire Danes played where I thought she was perfect for the part.

I wonder...if I watch My So-Called Life now, will I be Angela Chase all over again? I found some of the more memorable lines from the series. I just can't find that one conversation from the Self-Esteem episode where Angela asked her mom if she was embarrassed to be her mother. That really got me back then. Remember when we felt like this? Or do some of us still feel like this? (Oh no!)

*****

Teacher: So how would you describe Anne Frank?

Angela: Lucky.
Teacher: Is that supposed to be funny, Angela? How on earth could you make a statement like that? Hmm? Anne Frank perished in a concentration camp. Anne Frank is a tragic figure. How could Anne Frank be lucky?
Angela: I don't know. Because she was trapped in an attic for three years with this guy she really liked?

It had become the focus of everything. It was all I could feel, all I could think about. It blotted out the rest of my face, the rest of my life. Like the zit had become the truth about me.

Rickie: Kyle was probably her Popular Jock phase. Now she's probably moving into her Awkward But Sensitive Guy phase.
Brian: So, you're saying I'm like someone's phase?
Rickie: Hey. I wish I was.

I'm just really, like, low. I'll just find any excuse to touch him.

The worst feeling is suddenly realizing that you don't measure up. And that in the past, when you thought you did, you were a fool.

Brian: Here, do you want to... borrow my sweater?
Angela: Thanks.
Brian: Just don't sweat into it or anything.

What I like dread is when people who know you in completely different ways end up in the same area. You have to develop this like combination you on the spot.

Sometimes it seems like we're all living in some kind of prison, and the crime is how much we all hate ourselves. It's good to get really dressed up once in a while and admit the truth -that when you really look closely, people are so strange and so complicated that they're actually beautiful. Possibly even me.

People are always saying you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing, like a toaster. Like you know what it is even. But every so often I'll have like a moment where just being myself in my life right where I am is like enough.

If only there were a button somewhere that I could push. To force me to stop talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home