Thursday, August 18, 2005

A New Sensation

Last night, I heard Marty Casey sing Britney Spears' "Baby One More Time"...and loved it! I've been suffering from indigestion ever since.

I'm hooked on Mark Burnett's latest reality tv series, Rockstar INXS. Of course, no one can ever replace Michael Hutchence. But no, I don't think this "show" is an insult to the memory of his genious. INXS still wants to make music. Why stop them? Perhaps they should change their name because, to most people, INXS equals Michael Hutchence. But when I watch Rockstar: INXS, I'm not looking for the new lead singer of one my favorite bands. I'm enjoying watching all this talent and hoping that they help take INXS on a new road to success. Dude, it's better than "American Idol", right?

When the show started a month ago, I was blown away by Ty Taylor and Jordis Unga. Fantastic voices. Real talent. They will definitely take INXS in a different direction. J.D. Fortune (is that his real name?), scary as he was on stage, was good, too. And Deanna Johnston's low voice was just something else. Then people started saying "One of the contestants is Pinoy! We need to vote for him!" Now as far as I'm concerned, no one should vote for MiG Ayesa simply because he's Pinoy. Unlike Jasmine Trias, MiG has talent. He deserves every single vote he gets! Admittedly, I was initially put off by a comment he made on his blog where he said he hoped to make Australia proud. Hmmm...what about his Filipino roots? I decided not to bother. The guy has an absolutely fantastic voice and is a great performer. I vote for him online every week because he is someone I would love to see live, and I am SO SURE that he will make the top two.

So I thought, "Ok. Here's my 'fearless forecast'. MiG, Ty and Jordis will make it to the top three. Maybe J.D. will, too. But Marty's the wildcard." I said that after seeing Marty perform Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out". Then week after week, J.D. pissed me off and Marty's performances blew my entire family away. Marty's acoustic performance of "Mr. Brightside"? Better than the original! The man is absolutely amazing! And I share Dave Navarro's sentiments that he was uncomfortable with Marty's rendition of "Baby One More Time" because he started to like it. Well, just look at what it did to my stomach! (I love you, Marty Casey! Damn you, Mark Burnett!)

In the end, I think it will be close fight between Marty and MiG. If MiG wins, INXS had better come to the Philippines! And I hope Marty's band, Lovehammers, opens for them.

Tune in every Wednesday and Thursday at 9PM on Star World, and vote for your favorites online on www.rockstar.msn.com. Rock on!

2 Comments:

At 1:03 AM, Blogger jack said...

i've been meaning to watch inx:rockstar. too bad it isn't available with my cable network.

michael hutchence is indeed irreplaceable. i'm curious how the eventual winner will fit in with the band. my guess is that he or she would be merely a hired gun with little to no creative input at all. like ian astbury singing with the doors, it just ain't the same without jim morrison.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Calai said...

You know what...I'm worried about the same thing...but hoping against all hope that I'm dead wrong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home