Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Music A to Z

When a certain music store first opened in Makati almost 10 years ago, they were very particular about the guys they'd hire to man the shop. They wanted music junkies, people who would eat, breathe, live music. One of my childhood friends got his first "Makati job" there.

I'm not a fan of "testing" during the hiring process simply because I don't believe that school grades and how well one does on a standardized test is indicative of performance at work. BUT!...the test that this store had was so cool, I wish I had applied! From the top of your head, name one artist for every letter of the alphabet.

A - Aerosmith
B - The Bolshoi
C - The Cure
D - Dan Reed Network (more carpool memories!)
E - The Eagles
F - Fugazi
G - Gene Loves Jezebel
H - Hootie and the Blowfish
I - Incubus (because INXS is just not roit for me now...)
J - Jamiroquai
K - Kula Shaker
L - Love Spirals Downward
M - Midge Ure
N - Nek (if only I knew what he was singing about!)
O - Oingo Boingo
P - The Police
Q - Queen ("Biiiiicycle! Biiiiicycle!" I haven't been able to get that song out of my head since Saturday)
R - Radioactive Sago Project
S - Sting
T - Thievery Corporation
U - U2 (does anyone actually think of something else?)
V - Vai!!!
W - Wham! (hahaha!)
X - X'mal Deutscheland (the easiest to remember. Is that how you spell it?)
Y - Yanni? (hahaha! Ok, it would have been so cool if I had thought of Yo La Tengo first).
Z - ZZ Top (like U2, does anyone think of another "Z" artist...like DJ Hector Zazou?)

Whew!

That reminds me...I need to update my CD library. Not that I have a lot. My "music collection" is nothing next to Andaya's, Monsy's (most of which is obscure), Jay Ig's, Jay Ort's, Tanya's, Gabby's, Benjor's, my Dad's (good Lord, what a collection! CDs AND vinyl! All in mint condition!). But it's always good to keep track. 250 CDs and counting. God, I can't live without music!

3 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Gotta stop with all these interesting posts, Calai. I'm not getting any work done. My list:

ABBA (Mamma Mia!)
Big Audio Dynamite
Cutting Crew
Dee-Lite (Groove is in the Heart...)
Everything but the Girl
Firehouse
Green Day
Hootie and the Blowfish (now pimping Burger King)
Indigo Girls (ditto)
Jamiroquai
Keen
Lifehouse
Modest Mouse
New Order
Oingo Boingo
Pantera (never listened to them, but they're the first ones that came to mind)
Quiet Riot
Ratt
Steppenwolf
Tesla
U2 (agree with you...no one's gonna put...um...Ultravox? UB40?)
Veruca Salt
Wang Chung
XTC (I only know one song, Dear God, which was on a tape I borrowed from Benjor)
YES
ZZ Top

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger Calai said...

Hahaha! I suddenly had a vision of MiG Ayesa performing in "Mamma Mia!". Can I just tell you - I still have 3 or 4 of our "carpool tapes" and they still work! One of these days, I'll really have to make a set of "carpool CDs" before my tapes die!

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

here's my "hot list" mixed with classics

arcade fire
BLOC PARTY!!!
coldplay
dashboard
everclear
franz ferd
gwen stefani
hoobastank
interpol
josh groban - baduy ba? :P
keane
limp bizkit (wes borland era)
my chemical romance
new order (the new album)
our lady peace
phantom planet
queens of the stone age
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
smashing pumpkins, system of a down, snopw patrol
the bravery, the killers , the strokes
u2
verve
WEEZER
xzibit???
yanni -- mweahahhahaha
zutons the

 

Post a Comment

<< Home