Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Return of the Comeback

Yesterday was opening day for Bryan Singer's Superman Returns and I went through hell just to see it (more on that in a separate post). Luckily, it was quite worth it, although Batman Begins remains my favorite "comic book character to big screen" film. And The Incredibles is my favorite super hero movie. However, given that, I'm granting four out of five stars for Superman Returns. Even my fanboy friends JR and Dex were not disappointed. I have yet to hear what Ariel, Fred, Jayvee and Ricky have to say.

If you're a Superman purist who remembers Richard Donner's Superman: The Movie and Superman II with Christopher Reeve, you're likely to feel that Superman Returns is just a re-make with better technology. I'm a Batfan and a Star Wars geek, so I can hardly remember the original Superman films except for the music, the beginning of Superman: The Movie, Lois Lane's exclusive Superman interview, Supes turning back time, and the Phantom Zone. I needed Dex and JR to remind me, but the noisy know-it-alls seated behind us did a good job of doing that, too.

Now I'm sure that all you want answered is "Is it a good movie?". My answer: "Hell, yeah!" Even if Bryan Singer himself described it as a chick flick about old boyfriends coming back in your life (come to think of it, he's right! As Tanya used to say, "Nabuhay ang patay!" Bale, pinag-palit lang ni Lois Lane si Superman kay Cyclops. Cyclops took "the cure" and doesn't need his shades anymore). In fact, the film is such a good ride that I'm going to see it again this weekend.

Brandon Routh is physically not my type, but he sure resembles - and sounds! - like Christopher Reeve. If you think he's eye candy, just wait for the scene when Supes comes out of the water. You'll know it when you see it. Woooowwww.... He really pulled it off, though, I must say, considering he had some huge red boots to fill. Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor was menacing! Fantastic performance! A little underused, though, for such a great actor. I expected more "strength of character" (for lack of a better term) from Lois Lane. Kate Bosworth was a little underwhelming, in my opinion. Everyone else was ok. I loved the Kent family dog.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT read any spoilers before going in. I normally go into a film spoiler-free (of course, that never happens with book adaptations). My sister ruined part of my "wonder" of the film by making the BIG mistake of telling me an important bit of information without my asking. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Also, make sure you pee before the film starts and don't drink anything during the movie. And most importantly, bring yourself back to a time when you were young and in awe of the possibility of a Superman, or any super hero for that matter. It makes hearing John Williams' Superman Theme all the more exciting. Enjoy!

***

I found an interesting article on http://www.msn.com/ that you might enjoy:

Men in Tights by David Fear - go to http://movies.msn.com/movies/superhero. My two pesos on that next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home