Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Chasing Vincent

Don't you just hate getting hooked on a series? You just NEED to see it. You can't wait. You have to know what happens next, how it ends. Six Feet Under. Carnivale. Heroes. House, MD. Rome (shouldn't we all know how this turned out?). Sorpanos (I read about the ending online by accident).

If you know me well enough, you will understand why I prefer HBO's Entourage many times over Sex and The City. It's almost like how my sisters and I enjoy Seinfeld so much more than Friends. I still haven't figured out which of my best buds fit the main characters Vince, E, Drama or Turtle, but they're all there. Sometimes they're Ari, Lloyd and Shauna. Or I'm Ari, Lloyd and Shauna...combined! And yes, Adrian Grenier (who plays rising star Vincent Chase) is a very pretty boy; although Ari's assistant Lloyd is my favorite character.

Basically, Entourage is about the Hollywood misadventures of an actor, his brother (a bit of a has been), and his friends from Queens. And that's putting it mildly. One often wonders if the other guys could ever score without Vince and his adoring fans (watching Johnny Drama and Turtle chasing skirts chasing Vince is always funny). Then you have Vince's agent Ari (he gets all the good lines and Jeremy Piven plays the role perfectly), you have Lloyd (he's so not the token gay Asian administrative assistant), and all the cameos. Fun, mindless stuff, but surprisingly witty at times.

I didn't get to finish the third season, and the fourth season's on it's fifth episode. I've been patiently watching what I missed over the internet because I couldn't find the third season at The Ruins. I NEED to know what happens to Vince with his pet project Medellin! Meanwhile, while waiting for the downloads to complete, here are - what I think - some of the funniest scenes from Entourage (and yes, they do sound like conversations I've had or could have with my closest friends):

[The guys are looking out at the Pacific Ocean]
Turtle: What direction is that?
Drama: That's east, you idiot.
Eric: It's west, idiot.
(long pause)
Drama: Well, I mean, in New York, it's east.
*
Ari: You know what they feed people on an indie set, Vinnie? Nothing! They don't give you a trailer. They tell you to go sit on an apple box. Ever try to bang an extra on an apple box?
Eric: Well, if anybody could do it, Vince could.
Vince: I do have great balance.
*

Ari: Where am I going?
Emily: Ari, you're 20 minutes late already. Ari, I need to talk to you about something.
Ari: Walk with me.
Emily: Vince and the guys are going to a party at Josh Weinstein's.
Ari: Who's Josh Weinstein?
Emily: Are you joking? He's your old assistant.
Ari: I have many old assistants.
Emily: Alright, two before me. Before Jackie, after Jerod.
Ari: A-ha! My "J" phase. I think I fired him for stealing pens. Why do I care about Josh?
Emily: Well, now he's an agent at Triad. And he's the one who gave the boys Queens Boulevard.
Ari: That's why no more guys! You fire a guy ,you create a rival. You fire a woman, you create a housewife.
Emily: That's sweet. You're still late.
Ari: Hold all my calls. And get Mini-Vince on the phone.
*
Lloyd: Did you just prank Vince?
Ari: I never heard the guy answer the phone before. It spooked me.
Lloyd: He's going to know it's you. Our company name comes up.
Ari: Why does it come up? Whose idea was that? What's the fucking point?

*
Adam: I know you're excited about this movie, and it's a good little part, but here's the thing, I got you an audition for a guest starring role in a pilot. A pilot that's all but on the air.
Drama: Yeah, what's it called?
Adam: "CSI: Minneapolis." Don Johnson playing the William Peterson playing the David Caruso playing the Gary Sinise role.
*
Eric: Tom Cruise is going to play Pablo Escobar? He’s not even Hispanic.
Ari: Yeah and Hillary Swank has a vagina and she won an Oscar for pretending she had a dick. That’s what actors do. They pretend.

*
Drama: I had an Italian sports car in '94; they’re a delight.
Turtle: You had a Fiat, Drama.
Drama: Italian nonetheless.

*
Ari to Eric: Hug it out, bitch!
*
Turtle: This is where you should be living, Vince. In a kingdom, like a prince.
Eric: Don't you mean in a kingdom like a king, you idiot?
Vince: Nah, E. Everyone wants to kill the king. But the prince, he just sails along telling all the ladies, "One day I'm gonna be king."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home