Sunday, November 25, 2007

Better The Second Time Around?

But before I begin, I must say: nevermind the father, check out the son! This is Michael Gaiman. Oh. My. God. What a hottie.


So, we knew Neil Gaiman was in town. But it wasn't until Bianca read his blog that we realised he brought his son Michael along and that there were was a Fully Booked event separate from the Ad Congress. Alia was trying to get an interview, bagged it, and took us along, too. We were all hoping that the Fully Booked staff would let us in. And they did! (Thanks, Tals!). There we were - Bianca, Alia, Paige, Tristan, Jan, Riannon and Kris - and Tals announced that Neil was on his way to the presscon. Bianca looked out and said, "Bring out your camera! Here comes Mike!" And when he walked in, I think half the women in the audience forgot why we there.

Neil (uyyy, feeling close haha!) talked about the history of the Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards, the launch of Expeditions (books featuring the finalists and winners of the 1st Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards including the work of Benjor and Joonee), what he thought of the second round of the Awards (the short stories in the second round were better than the first, and the comics in the second round were worse than the first - nice one, Benj and Joon! We're proud of you!), and the launch of the third round.

He then opened the floor to questions where I shot my arm up, he looked to me and said "Yes?" and I asked what, in his opinion, made Philippine literature so distinct. He said it was the self-deprecating humor, among other things (he had a really long answer). What got me was that the whole time he was answering the question, he was looking directly at me. As in, looking straight into my eyes. I turned red, smiled like an idiot, and died. I never dreamed that seeing him in person a second time would be better than the first. *swoon* What a beautiful, intelligent man. Bianca got to ask a question, too. Unfortunately, Paige and Tristan froze up.


After the presscon, some people were allowed to conduct one-on-one inteviews. Stupid me, I forgot to give Alia my copy of Fragile Things to have signed (I don't like it as much as Smoke and Mirrors, but I really like his short story, Other People. In 2005, he signed the first page of my favorite story, The Price, from Smoke and Mirrors. Why I didn't think of bringing Stardust is beyond me). So while Alia was working, our little group decided to do a little shopping and have mirienda. Bianca, Tristan and I were eating in Brothers Burger when we saw Michael walking around (with his girlfriend? Friend? Guide?). Bianca gave me the signal and I unashamedly whipped out my camera and forced it to zoom in like it never zoomed before. Yes, I need to get a life!

Then Alia came over after her show's one-on-one interview where she was able to have Paige's and Riannon's books and Jan's poster signed. And Neil signed her jacket and hugged her...twice! (and I thought I was the big winner in 2005 when I kissed him on the cheek and Sid was so shocked, he forgot to take a picture).


We missed the program in the courtyard, but caught Neil with Michael on stage talking about The Day I Swapped My Dad For Two Goldfish and Wolves in the Walls before heading off to dinner at Italianni's where Jay I. and Gabe joined us.
At this point, I must thank my Dad for recommending the Panasonic Lumix TZ3 with it's 10x optical zoom, and thank my boss Mark for buying it for me in Singapore. Without my beautiful little point-and-shoot, my media sister, and my eagle-eyed sister, I would never have become the stalker paparazzo I was today. Neil, I love you. Michael, I'm single.

For more pictures of today's event, head over to my Multiply photo page. Tune in to QTV's Livin' It Up on 8 December 2007 at 5.30PM featuring Neil Gaiman's return to the Philippines.

1 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no man, they're not hot. but the man (the father) is amazing anyway. does the kid have the same talent?

sneil. sdamn. sdarn it. missed it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home