Friday, September 30, 2005

What Was He Thinking?

Yes, I am still a big fan of UAAP Men's Basketball. La Salle-Ateneo games, in particular, are a big thing in my house. No one goes out, except to watch in Araneta. And yes, I know that my alma mater lost Game 1 of the finals against the FEU Tamaraws yesterday (dude, the Tams rock! They are sooooooo good this year!). But no, I am not saddened by the loss. There is still Game 2 on Sunday. However...there is another score that needs to be settled....

I wrote to two La Salle Brothers earlier today about DLSU Men's Basketball Team Manager Manny Salgado. Unfortunately, I missed the game (it's called "work"), but I saw what Salgado did to FEU's Arwind Santos while watching the sports news last night, and I read about it in the papers this morning.

I am somewhat consoled by the fact that Salgado did not go to school in Zobel. BUT his actions are certainly unbecoming of a La Sallite (or La Sallian - if you went to Zobel, you should know the difference) and it reflects very poorly on all us good, green-blooded students, alumni, faculty and staff. I hope that the Brothers Community will not tolerate Salgado's behavior, and will issue some kind of statement or sanction against him. I think An-an is writing to the Brothers, too.

Yesterday was a sad day to be a La Sallite - not because we lost the game, but because we have among us one who openly does not share our values. If the UAAP Board sanctions the entire team for Salgado's actions, I will not protest. In fact, I will welcome it. Although it will be hard to accept that the action of one man ruined an entire school's reputation. I hope Salgado knows what he's done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home