Thursday, June 29, 2006

Fearless Forecast

It's the quarter finals of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany, and here are my predictions:

  • Germany, with the "home court advantage", beats Argentina, but both teams get to score, and how!
  • Italy wins over the Ukraine.
  • Portugal beats England, and it's fun to watch.
  • Brazil knocks out France (I'm hoping Robinho scores).
  • Germany beats Italy in a very close match.
  • Brazil bests Portugal.
  • Argentina places third.
  • Portugal is fourth, although France might give them a run for their money.
  • It's 2002 all over again with Germany against Brazil (the best defense against the best offense and a deep bench). Now as much as I want Brazil to hold on to the Copa del Mundo, Germany just might win this thing (gasp!).

Joey thinks it will be Argentina vs. Brazil in the finals, and it's anyone's game. That would be such an exciting game!

Andaya's just plain sad that the Netherlands didn't make it. Again!

To be honest, I don't understand what the English team is still doing there. They haven't exactly been spectacular. And I'm quite disappointed with Spain. Such underachievers (like me, hahaha!). I was really happy about Ghana making it to the Round of 16 by sending the USA home. I'm looking forward to the 2010 World Cup South Africa in the hopes of seeing more African teams play and make it to, at least, the quarter finals. The Philippines in World Cup match? If the people running our national sports program get their act together, Andaya's pretty sure that we'll see action in 2 or 3 Cups.

So...what do you think?

*Photo of Cafu (BRA)/Kingston (GHA) care of http://FIFAworldcup.com.


3 Comments:

At 1:56 AM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Trying to understand whether you meant "It'll be fun to see Portugal beat England", or "The match between Portugal and England will be fun", because the games both teams were involved in weren't (PORvNED was just a goonfest, while ENG was just boring). I think ENG will win, though--POR just has too many people sitting down because of that ref.

Italy? Will get beaten, as karmic payback for that "call" against the Socceroos.

Frankly, I don't know who's going to win (Germany seems like a safe bet right, now like you said). I think I'll root for the Brits, for no other reason than I love their very boring-ness (plus, Rooney, their striker, looks like someone you could hang out and have a couple of beers with).

(hm, for a guy who said he doesn't "get" the World Cup, I'm awfully up-to-date, donchathink?)

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Calai said...

Hahaha! Oo nga no. But in my twisted opinion, it will be fun to see Protugal beat England. Sama ko 'no?

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger daddychoy said...

So much for Rooney--I guess he was more of "someone you would be very afraid will destroy furniture in a pub" rather than that guy you would have a couple of beers with. Guys everywhere covered their groin areas in dismay after Rooney "accidentally" stepped on that Portugese guy.

And with that, ENG's gone. Having fun yet? *sigh* And I was so hoping for an Axis vs Allies final (all Euros!), which would've been interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home