Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Being Pretty

We Talk Pretty!

One of my favorite writers, David Sedaris, is coming to town! PowerBooks has arranged three booksigning events and one "live reading" in its Alabang, Greenbelt and Shangri-La stores next week. No purchase necessary (they obviously learned from FullyBooked's Neil Gaiman event mishaps). I've got my copy of Sedaris' hilarious Me Talk Pretty One Day waiting for his autograph. Visit http://talkprettymanila.blogspot.com for details.


We're All So Pretty!

Also coming to Manila this weekend is The Queer Eye for The Straight Guy's Fab 5 - Carson Kressley, Kyan Douglas (how I wish he was straight), Thom Filicia (I love his interior design work. Practical and never over the top), Jai Rodriguez and Ted Allen. I MUST meet Carson! I love him! He's my favorite queer! Point your browser to http://ayalamalls.com.ph for scheduled appearances.

Thank the good Lord that my cast wilkl be removed this Thursday. Woohoo!


Not So Pretty...

...was the The 1st Philippine Graphic/Fiction Awards at the Rockwell Tent last Saturday. Of course I feel bad that Benjor and Joonie didn't win, but I'm glad that they made it to the finals. And FullyBooked owner Jaime Daez said he would compile and publish the work of the finalists into one book (neat!).

However, the event was so poorly organised. And it would take too much time ans space to rant about it. But the thing that bugged me most were (1) not being able to vote for the People's Choice Awards online; and (2) letting us know the schedule of events.

If Benjor didn't tell me that the awarding ceremony was at 7PM, our friends would not have known that we didn't need to be there so early. Well, I had just flown in from Singapore at 5PM, so I had enough time to find out who the winners were.

Then, when Andaya and I got there, we saw a poster with a rather small font size above the entrance to the Tent. It had the schedule of events for the day which included a screening of Neil Gamian and Dave McKean's Mirrormask at noon (I knew I should have bought the original DVD when I saw it Singapore!). Now at least this schedule was posted online, but it was a separate entry in FullyBooked's website that wasn't exactly easy to find - I mean, they could have just made one page for the entire Unmasked event, but instead, they had three. And as far as my friends knew, the schedule wasn't even published in any local newspaper. Maybe they didn't want a lot of people there. I don't know.

I just think the whole thing could have been better planned.


"Feeling" Pretty

I took Khun Malou's advice to make sure I always look good now that I'm pilay because I'll never know daw when some hot guy is going to help me. Naku, Malou, marunong na ako mag-make-up at smile ako ng smile (KC would be so proud of me), pero wala pa akong nakikilala. Sabi nga ng iba, kilabot daw ako ng mga security guard ng 6750. Gumigimik pa rin ako at lahat-lahat, nanood ako ng World Cup matches sa mga bar, wala pa rin. Natutuwa lang yata sila na may pilay na makulit, sinisigawan ang mga football player at referee sa tv, inom ng inom, naninigarilyo pa rin, akala mo walang nangyari. Hindi nalang sana totoo si Superman so I could take off my shoe (not shoes, with my pink nailpolish, not black), step on his super boots, and fly away to the sweet orchestrations of If You Could Read My Mind.

Pero eto ang laughtrip: nag-pa-foot spa ako two weeks ago. Dahil isa lang ang paa ko, half-price siya! Pero yung pedicure, both feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home