Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Shanghai Calling

As early as now, I'm planning my first trip to mainland China. My old job (and my parents' old business venture) sent me to Hong Kong several times in the past. My current post will have me attend a series of meetings over a period of 5 days (yes, 5!) in Shanghai this June. This will also be my first international travel date for the year.

I've been asking the XB's what to do and what I should expect to see. Joby insists that I see a Chinese Acrobatic show (some Cirque de Soliel type experience). And of course, I was told to walk along The Bund. I've surfed the web for things to see and do around the area where my hotel is. I've also checked out a few possible tours. I think it's all very exciting!

I might be arriving a day earlier than scheduled, with my trusty Nikon F2 in tow, so I can orient myself and explore. I'll probably take a city tour or walking tour. I'll definitely extend my trip as well and stay with my old Bangkok travel buddy Angela and her husband Rob. Instead of travelling back on the 9th like everybody else, I'll be taking advantage of the Philippine Independence Day holiday and flying back to Manila on the 11th. Anj suggested that we take a day trip to Suzhou, a "water town" outside Shanghai that's been described as being similar to Venice. She said if I remember that scene near the end of Mission Impossible 3 where Tom Cruise is running like a madman, that's Suzhou. I hope the experience turns out better than my Cheena's trip to Thailand's Floating Market outside Bangkok. It looked so beautiful in the pictures and the descriptions were fascinating. The actual Floating Market was something else. But all our pictures came out great! I guess that it was...uh...photogenic?

Unfortunately, all this travelling means that I will miss Bianca's birthday and will be back in time for Tita Girlie's. If anything, they already know where their birthday gifts will be coming from. I've read that shopping in Shanghai is not as fulfilling as shopping in Hong Kong, but I'm sure I'll manage to find a little something for everyone in my family. I wish I inherited my father's ability to shop for the perfect pasalubong for everyone back home in under two hours. I doubt that it's a learned skill. It must be a gift!

So...any of you out there ever been to Shanghai? Any suggestions, tips, must do's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home