Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Calai Was Here

What's worse than two photographers travelling together? One photographer exploring alone! And proving beyond a shadow of doubt that all the pictures that she said she took are really her own work - no Photoshop, no nothing - and yes, she was really there.
When there are two or more of you, you have people taking pictures of each other taking pictures (gets niyo yan?).

Vince outside the Lotus Temple, 3 June 2007


Ricky, Khun Lek, Rizka, Eunice and Sin Hwei at the Taj Mahal, 9 June 2007

Or your travel buddy happens to get in the way and is too far to hear you shout "Get out of my shot!"

Photo by Magtangol Magsaysay Liwanag, alias "Bantay". Agra Fort, 9 June 2007


When you're alone, that's it. No pictures of you smiling on an Indian summer day (although one of my favorite candid shots was one that Cheena took of me talking with Jeric in Chiang Mai in 2001 and I looked really masungit. Of course, nothing beats the picture of Cheena with an eagle on her head!). On Sunday morning, I went to the Nizamuddin Complex where Humayun's Tomb is and came upon the octagonal tomb of Isa Khan. I wanted a picture of myself standing infront of Isa Khan's tomb, but no one was there for me to trust my camera with. That is why you have my guidebook and camera bag in the photo below (something I learned from my dad).



My fellow Bangkokian, KC, has the amazing ability to take pictures of herself with her little digital point-and-shoot. I don't know how she does it. I can't even take pictures of myself with my mobile phone. So I consider myself lucky when someone ever so kindly takes a picture of me and sends it over. Thank goodness, I have proof!


Photo by Eunice Chin, Singapore. Changing lenses at the Taj Mahal, 9 June 2007.

3 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger 32 flavors said...

ok carla, you are justified in putting your hair up and not using your hair products. heehee.

love the pics! india is definitely on my list of places to visit! but i agree, kids will have to be left with their grandparents.

kailan kaya?

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Calai said...

thanks, kat! i'm glad you like them.

apparently, the best time to go to india is november to february when they supposedly have baguio weather in the north, and "boracay in december" (not too hot) weather in the south. teka, magtitipid muna ako at mukhang next year pa ako makakabalik diyan ;-)

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Procops said...

hahahaha that's so funny Kat -> "you are justified in putting your hair up and not using your hair products"

it would be really freaky if a guy told me that....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home