Tuesday, June 12, 2007

And this song goes out to...*

It was one of the strangest questions I've ever been asked: if someone were to dedicate a song to you, what would it be? It's enough to get an entire floor to stop working and start going over playlists in their heads. Or thumbing through their iPods; pulling up a list of MP3's in their PC's; logging on to Google looking for lyrics. Someone actually asked if anybody had a copy of "Songhits".

Well, there's U2's "All I Want is You", "Forever" by Kiss, "Love Song" by The Cure, and the acoustic version of Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" which DRT does pretty well. Who wouldn't want those dedicated to them? Micheal Buble's version of "Fever" is not all that bad either. Sarah McLachlan's "Possession" would be creepy, although it's somewhat better than "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" by Morrissey. Someone actually sang "Light My Fire" by The Doors to me once. When I was much younger, Depeche Mode's "Strange Love" was dedicated to me on air. Only a handful or so of my closest friends actually know what my all-time favorite song is - and which version (no, I won't disclose it here) - but this is the next best thing. I can jump up and down to it and scream out the lyrics.

She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult (1985)
Oh the heads that turn make my back burn
Oh the heads that turn make my back make my back burn
The sparkle in your eyes keeps me alive
The sparkle in your eyes keeps me alive keeps me alive
The world and the world turns around
The world and the world yeah the world drags me down
Oh the heads that turn make my back burn
And those heads that turn make my back make my back burn
Yeah the fire in your eyes keeps me alive
The fire in your eyes keeps me alive
I'm sure in her you'll find the sanctuary
I'm sure in her you'll find the sanctuary

What? Were you expecting "Walking on Sunshine"?! I may have sold out, but I'm not THAT sappy.


*also appears on my Multiply site (24 May 2007)

1 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Hey, I remember those "dedications" on-air! I'm not sure if I ever had the guts to do that. I might have, at some point--I just blocked it out completely from my mind out of sheer embarrassment.

That said, it's "Head Over Feet" by Alanis for me. Sappy, I know...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home