Friday, June 08, 2007

Not Enough Time

Once again, my mother was right. I want to extend my trip. Not that seven full days is not enough. I spent the last four days locked up in a small conference room with 10, 12 other people talking about salaries and benefits. Sure, we'd start at 8.30 am and fight tooth and nail to work efficiently and finish by 4 pm so we can go out and explore. But all the "places of interest" are closed before 7 pm. The traffic here is as bad as Manila (but surprisingly, not as polluted. More on that in another post), so even if we leave the hotel by 4.30-4.45 pm, we only have a good hour or so to go around.

Since I had already been to Connaught Place with Vince last Sunday, I decided not the join the group there on their shopping spree this afternoon. After a nap, a meal and a tall, cold Kingfisher beer (no ice!), my roommate/secretary/ labandera/terrorist/spy and I headed off to the catch the light and sound show at the Red Fort. It was amazing! Seriously! I'm so happy we went there! It's a different way of learning about Delhi's history. Delhi's very rich history. I mean, it wasn't like Disneyland's Fantasmic show or anything, but truly, words other than "amazing" and "spectacular" escape me.

On the way back to the hotel, I told Vince that I found it odd that my Indian counterparts had only planned dinners out and shopping trips for the delegates; and apparently, he noticed the same thing. Where was the cultural diversity in that? I mean, had this workshop been conducted in Manila with first-timers who knew nothing about the Philippines, I'd have taken them on Carlos Celdran's tour of Intramuros. In other words, why isn't our Delhi office highlighting Indian history and culture? Why didn't they plan to take us to the Red Fort? It certainly isn't baduy. Is it a culture thing, like are Filipinos just more "entertaining" than Indians? Or was everybody just...tired? Or maybe...everyone just wants to shop! (I know Khen Lek wants to finish her rupees).

So here I am, resting after a relatively long day, seething with envy as Vince prepares for his daytrip to Jaipur tomorrow. Jaipur! *I* wanted to go to Jaipur! The original plan was to visit Jaipur by train last Sunday, but violence in Rajastan prevented all travel into the region until today. ARGH! See, now, here's a guy who's getting the whole Delhi, Agra and Jaipur experience! I don't know why he's not blogging! I'm sure he'll post pictures on his Multiply towards the end of the month.

I wish I had more time to explore Delhi and visit Jaipur. India's not so bad. I'm happy that the Company sent me here. It's all a matter of counting my blessings and opportunities now, isn't it? I hope to come back to India someday purely for pleasure.

***

Carly's Day to Day Dehli Thus Far (to be updated. Come back to this post next week)

Day 1:
  • Lotus Temple (Baha'i House of Worship) - do not wear socks here!
  • Red Fort
  • Jami Masjid
  • Gandhi Smirti
  • Rashtrapati Bhavan
  • India Gate
  • Safdarjung's Tomb
  • Connaught Place (dinner at Kwality - it's really good!)

Day 2: Work, shopping at Dilli Haat with the girls, happy hour at the Club Lounge with the rest of the group (Kingfisher beer is good! It's not quite San Miguel, but it's good), dinner at the Indian restaurant of the hotel (fantastic!).

Day 3: Work then shopping at the Central Market (much more interesting than Dilli Haat. Cheaper, too!), and happy hour at the Club Lounge (more Kingfisher beer!). Had dinner at the Chinese restaurant of the hotel. The chilli noodles were great!

Day 4: Work (of course), happy hour at the Club Lounge (this country is turning me into a beer drinker), then saw the light and sound show at the Red Fort (English program every night at 9 pm).

Day 5: No plans yet, but I know that Khun Lek wants to go shopping. I'll probably join her. I haven't bought any bangles yet.

Day 6: Day trip to Agra with stop over at the Agra Fort and Taj Mahal.

Day 7: My "secretary" planned my Sunday itinerary (he will be flying to Goa in the morning, everyone else would have gone home the night before, only Khun Lek and I will be left behind):
  • Humayun's Tomb
  • Purana Qila
  • Crafts Museum
  • National Gallery of Modern Art
  • National Museum

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home