Monday, June 04, 2007

So Far, So Good

It could have been an episode from The Amazing Race. I knew that something would go awry the moment I realized I had left my rosary and Search-In LSGH pendant at home (it's what I get for changing bags and wallets).

Sometime during the week, I received a security advisory about civil unrest in Jaipur and tourists getting stuck there and the Indian government trying to get them out. Goodbye planned day trip to Japiur on Sunday. "The hotel concierge *must* be able to book us a city tour. Bahala na. We'll just ask when we get there...".

Now, I've never known Singapore Airlines to be late, but the flight into Manila from Singapore was delayed by about 20 minutes. Thus, our flight from Manila to Singapore was delayed as well. When we arrived at Changi Airport, we almost had to run from one end of Terminal 2 to another. Thank God the Singapore airport is not as big as the one Hong Kong or else we'd be screwed! The flight was boarding. As in, they were only waiting for the passengers from Manila. Stupid me, I didn't put ALL my liquid and gel toiletries in a plastic bag (although most of them were there in the required quart sized Ziplock bag). Tuloy, pinagalitan pa ako ng taga-check ng handcarry.

I don't know what they served in Economy, but Vince ate something that triggered an acid attack (chips daw). Kalalapag lang namin sa Delhi, nababanyo na (bathroom tip: don't take Imodium. Gatorade works better. Plus, bring scented candles instead of matches). Thank God I had a special meal (apparently, there are advantages to being allergic to all kinds of things). As I walked out of the plane with Jack (regional boss), I was ready to be greeted by, you know, "that smell". Didn't happen. I was surprised.

The Indira Gandhi International Airport is not as bad people have posted on numerous travel websites. Maybe it's because we arrived at 10PM? But it certainly wasn't crowded. It wasn't smelly. The lines at immigration were organized (so unlike the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila!). Actually, I find IGIA better than NAIA.

I don't think we were prepared for the heat - at that time of night. The high during the day was 40+ degrees Celsius; the low was around 30 degrees. It was like arriving in Las Vegas during the summer. Traffic wasn't bad. It's like Manila. The roads are ok. They're well-paved. The streets are really dusty though. Not polluted with smoke from cars, buses,motorbikes and autorickshaws. The air is literally dusty. Hello, allergic rhinitis!

While counting his money this morning, Vince realized that he had tipped the driver more than a dollar (seriously, why are all US dollars green? Life would be so much easier if they came in different colors depending on the amount the way most paper money is). If not the driver, then the porter. In any case, hindi pa kami nakakalabas ng hotel, nawalan na siya ng pera. Is it a sign?!

So out we went. Hey, it's windy! Hey, the wind is hot! It's like being under a hair dryer out here! Temperature was the highest recorded in Delhi - 45.7 degrees. I can't remember the places we went to (and I'm too lazy to reach for my guidebook), but we visited the Lotus Temple and the Red Fort, saw the government offices and houses of parliament, saw where Mahatma Gandhi was cremated, drove through both Old Dehli and New Dehli (Old Dehli looks like Quiapo), walked around someone's tomb (it was supposedly modelled after the Taj Mahal), learned how Kashmiri families wove rugs, and realized that we look local (huwag lang smell, diba?) - Nepalese to be exact. At this art shop, I was asked if I was Spanish (now that's a sign! Hahaha!). Oh, and the local food is really good! Medyo agawan lang sa banyo (JR thinks it's the curry).

I noticed that everybody talks to Vince. They ask how he is. They ask for his opinion. People beg for money from him. They offer tours. He gets discounted rates right away. I could get sideswiped by an autorickshaw or fall in an hole and scream my lungs out; they will focus only on Vince. It's fine by me. I don't like being bothered. Apparently, that's the culture here. They don't talk to women or something to that effect (and we thought it was because of the way I walk). And because Vince is too nice, someone is bound to take advantage of him while he's exploring on his own. Good luck to him!

We met a friendly autorickshaw driver we met this morning - Neetu. He's cool; seems to have a good aura and all that. Maganda kutob ko doon. But there was this kid who kind of stalked Vince (waited outside the restaurant and all that). That was weird. Seriously, this kid followed us (well, followed Vince) from the centre of Connaught Place to the restaurant, waited for an hour, got us an autorickshaw, insisted on knowing Vince's mobile number and room number and schedule the next day,.... Wild! I made sure the kid never caught my name because how many Vincents and Carlas are staying together at that hotel, right? (if you know the story behind Ariel's calling me "Irish", then you know my travelling alias).

Anyway, my five-day workshop starts tomorrow. The first two days look like a LOT of work. I'm looking forward to whatever my company's Delhi office has planned for us delegates (trip to Agra, included). And thus ends our first 24 hours in Incredible India. Incredible, indeed!

2 Comments:

At 6:44 AM, Blogger Procops said...

holy cow.. you blogging from india? cool!

nice post btw.

have a great time calai!

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought your comment about "the smell" was funny!!! hahaha! i actually reacted the same way when i passed by delhi a long time ago...i actually held my breath as i stepped out of the airport, but for fear of passing out or of actually dying i had to breathe out at some point and was equally surprised it didn't smell like how i thought it would...TANYA :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home