Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Take the Power Back

Few things are worse that hearing , "Bato katawan niyan dati" and "Ang laki ng tinaba mo". Do you know how hard it is to go down from 6 cups of rice a day to 4 cups to 2 with less exercise and a slower metabolism? I love to eat! To have quit smoking after 12 years was no easy task either. And I don't exactly enjoy going to the gym, but being structurally unsound demands it. It's either that or all kinds of bone and muscle surgery (hindi ba puedeng dagdagan ng liposuction?). I still prefer to swim, and thank goodness it's on the list of sports I'm allowed to continue. Good exercise: check. Perfect tan: check. No sweat: love it.

I barely swim a kilometer every weekend now; Bianca (she's always been the stronger swimmer) does about 1.5 to 2km; both are nothing compared to what we used to do in High School. A 1km swim was a mere warm-up back then. As Gators, we used to swim 3 to 5km for 2 hours 6 times a week. In college, I was down to about 2km every other day. Then I stopped for about a decade. I got back in the water last year, and at the start, it would take almost an hour just to complete a corny 400m. I've slowly built that up (more laps, less time - yippee!), and recently I did 1,200m in 50 minutes (the goal that day was to knock me out on a long plane ride). I hope to add 100m each weekend until I recover some semblance of athleticism (I want to be like Def!). It would be nice to hear, "Bato ka pa rin?" one day - it's like what most women want to hear: "You haven't aged a day since [specify when you were at your prime]!".

I was a taking a micro-break from the hellish workout my trainer put me through last night (she's torturing me!), and I found this on CNN: http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/05/04/swim.trek/index.html


Swim the Greek islands and look like Spartan queen after? Sounds like a plan. Get me in a pool and make me a goddess!

1 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Procops said...

let's try thermage!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home