Wednesday, June 13, 2007

On A Roll

They say that all you need is 3 to 4 good shots on a roll of film. That's a lot of wasted film! But I am happy to report that I have at least 4 decent pictures on each of the 12 36-shot rolls I brought to India. I said "decent", not "good" because for the first time in my photographic life (?), I have horribly overexposed shots. Me? Overexposed? My problem has always been underexposure, and because I miscalculated the combination of Indian summer and rose-colored sunglasses, my usual F/16 and 250 took in too much light! Unfortunately, my camera's light meter is beyond repair, so forgive my guesswork.

Having said that, here are some highlights of my trip told via my favorite pictures because I'm too lazy to pull off a Cui post even if I promised a blow-by-blow account of India. To view all photos (including the ones I couldn't decide on keeping or discarding or even disowning), head on over to my Multiply site.
Day 1 - Baha'i House of Worship, a.k.a. Lotus Temple. Baha'i is a religion on Persian origin with three core principles: unity of God, unity of religion, and unity of mankind. It is little wonder that its teachings are a combination of Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism.


The Lotus Temple is not on the itinerary of most city tours in Delhi. If you ever visit it, you should know that you need to take off your shoes and socks, someone will hose water on your feet, and you will walk on VERY HOT stone to the Temple. Shoes are not allowed inside the Temple. You get your shoes back on the way out of the temple complex. In 45 degree Celsius heat, walking was more like dancing the jig. I don't know how the locals can handle it.
Photography is not allowed inside. We saw a sign that read "Breathe not the sins of others so long as thou art thyself a sinner. Shouldst though transgress this command, accursed wouldst thou be, and to this I bear witness. - Baha'u'llah". We didn't attend mass that day, but that was enough to put me in a reflective mood. There's just something about the spirituality of that place. I found it overwhelming.

Day 1 - riding Neetu's autorickshaw. This is the kind of shot I've been trying to pull off since 2001. I could never clearly capture someone's reflection in the mirror of a moving trike or tuk-tuk. Finally, I got it! I think it's because I now have a 105mm (I didn't have it when I was based in Thailand). However, I do realize that I should have used F/2 and 500 instead of F/2.8. Or maybe F/2 and 800? Grrr.
Day 1 - Across the Gandhi Smriti in New Delhi. Don't ask my why I like this picture. I just do. The place is of historic significance, but it didn't "call me", if you know what I mean.
Day 1 - Jami Masjid. This is a huge mosque in Old Delhi that was built by the Mughals. It is considered one of the most important religious sites in India.


Day 2 - Dilli Haat, Delhi. Not my favorite market (that would be the Khan Market and the Central Market),but these are just so colorful. I think they'd make nice Thank You cards or something (paging Fred! Fred! Discount, please!)


Day 7 - Taj Mahal, Agra. Of all the pictures I took that morning, and of all the stupid angles to photograph the Taj, this one is - rather oddly - my favorite.


Day 7 -Agra Fort, Agra. Kasi, ang titigas ng ulo!

Day 8 - Purana Qila, Delhi. I like the details at the bottom.


Day 8 - Humayun's Tomb, Delhi. Yes, I know the lighting is horrible and the film is grainy. I should have used F/4 and 125, but....


Day 8 - Isa Khan's Tomb, Delhi. This is a retired teacher who asked me to sit down and listen to him tell the story of Humayun. He mumbled at times and spoke with a very heavy accent. He seemed to have a hard time breathing. I don't remember what he said except that I should honor the men who made history by fighting for India's independence.

Day 8 - Crafts Museum, Delhi. I have this renewed obsession with doors. It started in Thailand, and was revived after a trip to an art shop in the Khan Market. I was thisclose to buying a framed miniature door, but didn't know how I was going to bring it home. I think this obsession was likely influenced by Jerome (he collects paintings of doors).

.

1 Comments:

At 11:29 PM, Blogger Procops said...

great post and pics calai! india looks so cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home