Thursday, July 27, 2006

'Coraline' Comes to Life

One of my favorite books is being made into an animated movie that - I think, I hope, I beg, I pray - will deliver. It's Coraline (described as a strange book for strange little girls) by Neil Gaiman, with Dakota Fanning in the title role (she's the amazing actress in I Am Sam and whose talent was wasted in The War of the Worlds) and Teri Hatcher (of Lois & Clark and Desperate Housewives fame) as Coraline's Mother/Other Mother. The film is due out next year.

I remember reading Coraline in my cousin David's house a few years back. Doors are important in the story and they kind of freaked me out. So you can just imagine how hard it was for me to sleep at night with the bedroom door directly infront of my bed. I wasn't sure if I should keep the door shut or keep it slightly ajar - both with the relative comfort of knowing that David was upstairs, Gars was in the next room, and the rest of the Formans were in the next house. Either way, my "Other Mother" could easily come for me and no one could save me - us - but myself. Yes, I know, sometimes I get too involved with the books I read. It was one of those days that I really missed Max.

In any case, to learn more about Coraline (the book), visit http://www.mousecircus.com/. Enjoy the creepy music!

1 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Hmm, one of the Neil Gaiman books I haven't read (along with the Sandman series, oddly enough). Must visit library to pick this up.

The BBC mini-series Neverwhere is in my Netflix queue, although from what I've heard it doesn't quite do the book justice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home