Wednesday, September 06, 2006

More Shocking News

Just a rundown of my raves and rants, some real news included.

  • Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter, 1962-2006. What can I say? He was nuts, but I enjoyed watching all his shows. But I came across an article on www.cnn.com where this woman, Germaine Greer, practically said "Good for him!". To her (whoever this British academic is), Irwin was an "embarrassment" and a "self-deluded animal torturer" and that all of us who feel a sense of loss are "idiots". She was quoted as saying Irwin had no real respect for animals and that "He would tell you how dangerous they were and he would proceed to intrude on their space and humiliate (them) really -- treat them with massive insensitivity....It's no surprise he came to grief." Uh...duh? Some people need to know exactly how dangerous these animals are and Irwin was one of the few who put his life on the line to, in a way, save ours and ultimately theirs (the animals). Some people.
  • Andaya pointed out that Rockstar: Supernova's final four is made up of foreigners - an Australian, a Canadian, an Icelandic (exactly what do you call people from Iceland? "Ice"?), and a South African. That's three English colonials and one Viking!
  • Dilana's going the Jordis route. What the hell? Sorry, I just got off the Dilana love train. Yes, she is the most rock n' roll of this season's rockers, but her foot-in-mouth disease combined with her I-didn't-know-I-had-to-write-I'm-auditioning-to-sing reasoning (duh?!) turned me off. I still think she'll make it to the final 2, or at the very least, the final 3. As much as I love him, methinks Magni is next to go.
  • Speaking of Magni, I absolutely loved his original! I dug Storm's and Toby's too, but would go out of my way to buy/download Magni's and Storm's. Now, aside from the fact that English is not his first language, I don't know why Supernova don't (Queen's English)/doesn't (American English) like him. It's not like all Americans speak proper English anyway. You'd think that with English being the only language most of them know, they'd do a good job of using it.
  • And speaking of English, I got a kick out of this article from www.msn.com - Paris Hilton was arrested for drunk driving, and was quoted as saying she was "starving because I had not ate all day". Excuse me, "I had not eaten all day." As Marian shrieked over the phone earlier, "Hello! Past participle!".
  • In another DUI-related article, three cast members of the show Lost have been arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii in separate incidents. What does that say about Lost? Or Hawaii?
  • Philippine Idol is actually good! I'm impressed! ABC5 has done well (except for the audio on the performance show). In fact, Philippine Idol is infinitely better than Singapore Idol! And the house band is so much better than the one on American Idol (although THE House Band on Rockstar is THE VERY BEST!). The talent is amazing, too. They don't come off as karaoke. Well, some of them do, but it's not bad at all. Yes, I'm baduy. I've semi-sold out.
  • Ramirr didn't make it to the final 12 of Philippine Idol last Sunday (thank God he still has a shot at being a Wild Card entry this week). The only reason Miguel Mendoza made it to the final a12 is because practically the entire Ayala Alabang and De La Salle school system is voting for him. Please, he's not even that good. Yes, he has potential, but is so not the best in this competition. He needs more time to mature as a singer. And the only reason Jan Kurt Nieto is still there is because almost the entire Ateneo community and Unilever Philippines is voting for him. He's not all that either! Drae deserves to be there, and so does Ramirr, but the others? Nah! Philippines, please vote for Ramirr!
  • Kris Aquino is NOT running for senator next year. Thank you! And even if I enjoy making fun of her, I do admire her for coming out to clear the air, and telling her critics to concentrate on something that's actually newsworthy instead of making something up or making judgements based on gossip. In an interview on TV Patrol, she said that she is perfectly happy entertaining people and would rather do that than get involved in politics.
  • File this under "good news", not "shocking news": Japan's Princess Kiko had a baby boy, the first male born in the royal family since 1965! Congratulations, Japan!
  • And since we're talking about children: TomKitten Suri exists! (Uh-huh. Right). Yes, Bianca sent me the pictures from Entertainment Weekly's website. Not that I'd die without seeing her, but she's really cute. She looks like her dad, but with her mom's smile. Let the "Who is cuter: Suri or Shiloh?" debate begin (some people just don't have anything better to do).

Why am I so affected? Does it add spice to my uneventful existence? Yes, and it does help pass the time. And why is Suri's first public appearance considered newsworthy? It was on the front page of Wednesday's Philippine Star. It pisses me off that I no longer see or hear anything in the news about the Guimaras oil spill or the nursing exam leakage. I don't care about Mike Arroyo's non-existent German bank account and Alan Cayetano's scheming ways. Ah well...life. All these lemons, but not enough good lemonade.

Rest in peace, Steve Irwin. You did your part to make the world a better place. May others follow in your wake.

8 September 2006 - Happy birthday to Mama Mary (Catholics, don't forget to go to mass) and my godson Rapa (2 years old).

***

22 September 2006 Update: People from Iceland are called "Icelanders".

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger jack said...

Andaya pointed out that Rockstar: Supernova's final four is made up of foreigners - an Australian, a Canadian, an Icelandic (exactly what do you call people from Iceland? "Ice"?), and a South African. That's three English colonials and one Viking!

i think "nordic" is the word you're looking for! :)

anyway, i was saddened to see someone who exudes such good vibes go. RIP, steve irwin.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Calai said...

Mamimilosopo ako. "Nordic", hindi "Nord"? Hahaha! Or...I dunno..."Norse"? "Icelandian"? "Iceman"? "Icean"? Why don't they put these things in popular dictionaries? I used my MSWord spellcheck and nothing seemed right. Sigh....

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Procops said...

cool post!

ALL I CAN SAY IS --------GO RAMIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.

boooo miguel mendoza -- undeserving and sucky -- but it IS a texting contest so .......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home