Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Killing Harry

So there I was, taking a break to check my Hotmail when I came across these articles on www.msn.com -

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13558242/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13819658/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14137761/?GT1=8404

I don't know why I care so much for Harry Potter. Heck, I don't even know why I get so involved with the books I read. When I started reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone back in 2000, I did it to pass the time on the beach during Holy Week. Next thing I knew, I was collecting the British paperback editions during my assignment in Bangkok (so I have Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) because Bianca was just too far away to borrow her hardbound American editions from.

I started reading fantasy novels towards the end of my Senior year in High School. Before then, I absolutely hated reading. I preferred film and music. Oh, and comics (I can't forget how angry I was when the Joker killed the second Robin, and a few years later, paralyzed Barbara Gordon). Bianca was the only real "reader" among us kids (you should see her Stephen King collection!).

I think it was Roman or maybe Justin who lent me the first trilogy of the DragonLance series; Chronicles they were called. I was hooked! And I've been a quite reader ever since, even filling up more than half of our family bookshelf in the hallway (with books arranged by genre, by author/series, and by publication date, no less. I coould work for PowerBooks, don't you think?). I remember being sad when Flint died, but didn't care too much for Sturm. And as stupid as Caramon was, I was always amazed by how he could take what Raistlin shot at him. Oh, and Dalamar. I loved Dalamar!

I read The Lord of the Rings in 2000 and again in 2001. I was shocked when Gandalf fell with the Balrog, surprised when Boromir was killed by the Uruk Hai, and shouted "No way!" when Frodo was stung by Shelob and taken away by the orcs.

The Forgotten Realms series didn't quite cut it for me, although I liked reading anything with the dark elf Drizt (?) in it. I don't understand what's so great about Shannara and The Wheel of Time. Boooooooooriiiiiing! I couldn't make it past the first book of each series. I couldn't even finish the first book of the Thomas Covenant trilogy (ask Ariel).

Harry Potter brought back my love for fantasy novels, although the His Dark Materials trilogy is by far my favorite. I just started reading Earthsea and it's pretty captivating. Ogion and Ged are fast becoming characters that will somehow affect the way I live. Is it no surprise then that I shed a tear for Dumbledore, especially after "following" him for six books?

So, do I really want Harry to die? Do you? J.K. Rowling has a point, though. And it's her book. I can't stop her from writing what she wills. And there are countless other fantasy series far better than Harry Potter. Still...if she does decide to end his life...I'll miss the boy....and his friends...even his enemies!...and all their magic.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger daddychoy said...

Yeah, I was your "supplier" for the Dragonlance habit (heh). The first two books of Shannara were okay, Wheel of Time was good up to book 6 (it's too long!), Covenant was good but depressing, and I've gotten bored with Drizzt.

Recently though it's been the Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin for me, as well as the Malazan Book of the Fallen books, and Discworld by Pratchett. Hopefully you've read Good Omens, his collaboration with Gaiman.

Did Bianca ever finish the Gunslinger series? Talk about a letdown!

Oh, and I don't think Harry will die. Snape probably, and some other shocking death that pushes Harry over the edge (possibly Hermione or Ron). Yeah, that's the ticket.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Bianx said...

What?!? I LOVED the ending of The Dark Tower series. It made me want to re-read all seven books again ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home