Friday, September 01, 2006

Living it up at 30

I got this email that contained a list of 30 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do Before Turning 30. Uh-huh. Let's see now...

1. Wrap a present: check.
2. Start a successful fire in a fireplace, at a campsite, and in a barbecue: check. And I'm glad to say that my side of the fire started burning before Gars and Martin's did in Matuod.
3. Finish a piece of furniture: Do the plate, incense burner and ashtray I painted in Color Me Mine count?
4. Get a raise: Not only have I gotten a raise, I now design salary structures and implement pay programs that provide raises! Woohoo! I love my job!
5. Order wine at a restaurant without getting stiffed: I think so. I know what I like, but am never very sure of the year. I need Tanya for that.
6. Parallel park in three breathtakingly beautiful movements: Sometimes, yes. And I'm proud of it!
7. Dance a slow dance without looking like an idiot: Uh...well...hmmm...NAH!
8. Use a full place setting properly, including chopsticks and Asian soup spoons: check. Did you know that Filipinos are the only people who eat pizza with a fork and knife, but eat rice with their hands?
9. Clean your place in under 45 minutes, when friends, relatives, or prospective lovers are coming by unexpectedly, and soon: And this is why I cannot live in the U.S. I need a maid. Why do you think I came home? Ok, it was mostly for Chichi, but eventually I realised that I missed having a maid, a driver, a gardener, having access to the Club,.... Yes, I'm a brat. And to this day, I miss my yayo Mang Gauds!
10. Hold your liquor: check. I cannot embarrass the Clan.
11. Cure a hangover: Drink a bottle of Gatorade before going to bed, and have another one when you wake up. You'll be as good as new.
12. Do the Heimlich Maneuver: check. Thank you Watson Wyatt for letting me take Basic First Aid training!
13. Use a compass: Duh?!
14. Change a flat: Are you kidding me? That's why I signed up for Honda's Roadside Assistance Program. I just call them, and there they are. Nice.
15. Jump start a car: See #14. Or call JR or Eric for help.
16. Open a champagne bottle: That's what Miggy, JR, Jay and Eric are for.
17. Send a drink to someone's table: Hahahahaha! No.
18. Cook one signature meal: My sisters like my tuna pasta, my creamless carbonara, and my Christmas turkey. The last 2 are recipes that have been handed down by our father.
19. Whistle with your fingers: Isn't that so butch?
20. Take good pictures: check (can you see me smiling through this one? I'm so maybang. I AM my father's daughter, you know)
21. Fold a fitted sheet: See #9.
22. Remove common stains: Depends....
23. Sew a button: Yes, I learned something in Home Economics!
24. Carve turkey, lasagna, and birthday cake: check.
25. Hold a baby: check.
26. Change a diaper: Yaya? Yaya!
27. Keep a plant alive for more than a year: I couldn't even keep my Baguio rose cactus alive for a month!
28. Make dogs and cats love you: check.
29. Help someone (an older or ill person, a woman you're trying to impress, your mother) out of a car: check (what, did you think I wasn't nice?)
30. Write superior thank you notes: If I have to, I guess I can. I AM my mother's daughter. I hope I picked up some of her writing skills.

I'm enjoying my thirties. I don't need to apologise for who I am or where I've been. Life has never felt so free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home