Wednesday, August 09, 2006

INXS In Excess

I recently purchased INXS: The Years 1979-1997, a box set of 2 CD's with 41 tracks - including my favorite INXS song, Not Enough Time, which unfortunately was not performed on Rockstar: INXS last year - and 1 DVD with 10 music videos. Sadly, the box set doesn't include Mediate (which brought memories of Miggy checking out my best of Depenche Mode double disc and saying, "What? Walang 'Somebody'?"). But all the hits we "grew up with" are there - Original Sin, Need You Tonight, Devil Inside, New Sensation, Mystify, Never Tear Us Apart, Suicide Blonde, Disappear, Bitter Tears, Shining Star, and Elegantly Wasted.

Has anyone noticed that not a single INXS song has been sung on Rockstar: Supernova? Seriously, if they can throw in Duran Duran and Cindy Lauper, right? What's wrong with INXS? Probably the endless comparisons to the Rockstar: INXS contestants and how the current group just pales in comparison? Dana is no Jordis (oh, and did you know that Dana's an American Idol reject? Hahahaha!). Patrice is no Suzie, but I do like her voice. Only Dilana, Lukas and Magni stand out, but if we threw them in with Marty, Jordis, Deanna and Ty, they wouldn't last very long. Marty would still come out kicking butt. Magni and Lukas seem to be the only ones "growing" in this competition (with Lukas being the late bloomer). Dilana is starting to go the way of Jordis and getting stuck in a rut (scary thought right there). At least Jill is gone. THANK GOD!

So I just read that a movie on the life Michael Hutchence will be made into a movie entitled Slide Away. I still can't imagine who can play Hutchence. And I also saw an authorized biography of INXS on sale in Power Books, Alabang Town Centre (50% off). Should I get it? Would it be as compelling to read as No one Gets Out of Here Alive (story of Jim Morrisson), Sting's Broken Music, and Bono on Bono? Is this a Rockstar: INXS withdrawal or an INXS overload?

I'm listening to Disappear now. Oh, how I miss Michael Hutchence. Yes, JD Fortune can sing and in the end he really was roit for their band INXS. But he doesn't excude the same charisma and sex appeal as Hutchence. Marty Casey does, but he's better off with The Lovehammers. But Michael Hutchence was Michael Hutchence. There's no replacing him.

That said, no I'm not watching the "new" INXS in concert with MiG Ayesa in the Araneta Coliseum next Tuesday. Not unless they still have some Php500 tickets lying around somewhere. Or I get a ticket for free. Otherwise, I'm holding out for The Lovehammers in November.

5 Comments:

At 10:23 PM, Blogger Bianx said...

A writer for Entertainment Weekly recommended Jonathan Rhys Myers (?) from Bend It Like Beckham and MI3 to play Michael Hutchence in the upcoming film ;)

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never knew you were this big of a fan of INXS calai...is it also because of the tv show or were you a huge fan na before? i liked them, even bought the mediate single before, but i wasn't really going gaga over them.

i wonder if they'll 'touch' on the subject of michael's autoerotic asphyxation...get it? :P

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Calai said...

I've always liked INXS, but yeah, not the way I love The Cure and U2 and all the other "new wave" bands. The show brought back my "appreciation" of INXS and made me finally buy a CD (I had a mixed tape before that was destroyed when my house got flooded. I've since prioritized "restoring" my new wave and hair metal/glam rock tape and vinyl collection with CDs).

I wonder if the movie will end with the 2 different "theories" of Michael's death....

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger daddychoy said...

VAL KILMER! Didn't he play Jim Morrison in that awful Doors movie? Kilmer was pretty good as Morrison, although I fell asleep and never really finished it. Since Michael Hutchence was channeling Morrison, he'd be a good bet...I think.

What I'm wondering is whether they'd show RS:INXS in the movie as an epilogue. Hmm, who'd play Marty?

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

marty feldman would be a good marty! they have the same freaky stare, haha! iiigoooorrr...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home